HS NAVARINON (F 461)
The upper part of the crest depicts the castle of the old city o NAVARINON (modern PYLOS) and underneath depicts two dolphins with a trident between them. The castle refers to the naval Battle that took place in the bay of NAVARINO (20 October 1827) at which allied Naval forces from Britain France and Russia defeated the Ottoman and Egyptian Fleet and practically secured the Greek independence. The two dolphins and the trident symbolize the familiarization of Greeks with the sea and the Naval superiority.
The ship was named NAVARINON in order to honor the victory of the allied British-French-Russian fleet against the Turkish-Egyptian one in the naval battle of NAVARINON (modern Pylos) which took place on October 20th, 1827. The victorious outcome of this naval battle resulted in the consolidation of the greek independence. The HS NAVARINON is the third ship of Hellenic Navy that bears this name. The first one (C-63) was only lent to the Hellenic Navy by the British Navy. It was a Destroyer type «Ε», ex. HMS ECHO (H23) built in UK in 1933, commissioned in Malta on April the 5th, 1944 and remained in the Hellenic Naval Force until March the 8th 1956, when it was returned to the British Navy. The second ship (D-63) with the same name was granted by the U.S.N. It was a Destroyer type «Fletcher», ex. U.S.S. Brown (DD 546), built in USA in 1942. It was commissioned on September 27th 1962 in Seattle and remained in the Hellenic Naval Force until decommissioned on October the 31st, 1981.