Mine Warfare Command
Anchor, mine and minesweeper float complex, which is half-sunk at sea. The theme of the presentation is directly related to the Command’s mission.
The Mine Warfare Command was established in 1980. Prior to World War II, the agency dealing with Mine Warfare was the Torpedo / Mines Command (TMC). The first Mine Warfare Command was the MAMN (Magnetic Acoustic Mine Neutralization) established in 1941 in Alexandria. In 1943, it was renamed as HAAS (Higher Administration of Anti-mine Service) and had a total of twenty-three (23) minesweepers and thirty-nine (39) observation posts. With the return of the fleet to Greece in 1944, HAAS settled in Skaramangas area and counted approximately fifty (50) ships. In 1953 HAAS was transferred to Salamis Naval Base, now falling under the Fleet Command as Minesweeping Command and in 1980 was renamed as Mine Warfare Command, with three (3) squadrons of Minesweepers and one (1) group of minesweeping boats.
The mission of the Hellenic Mine Warfare Command is to act within the scope of the orders and directions of the CINC Fleet, for the organization, administration, operational training, maintenance and generally for the readiness and preparation for war of the ships, in order to contribute to the accomplishment of the mission or the tasks assigned to the CINC Fleet, as well as maintaining readiness of assuming operational tasks at sea with mainly scope to take over Anti Mine Warfare Operations.
Operationally the ships of Mine Warfare Command fall under the Mine Warfare Commander. Mine warfare commanding duties can also be assumed by the Chief of Staff of MWC if the Commander is not on board. Finally, the Mine Warfare School falls under the Mine Warfare Command.
Under the Mine Warfare Command fall three (3) ships, of which two Minehunters “Osprey” class and one Minehunter/Minesweeping “Hunt” class.
School of Mine Warfare
The mission of the Mine Warfare School is to provide the crew of Hellenic Mine Warfare Command ships and Fleet Headquarters staff, the suitable theoretical and practical education, pointing to ensure the crewing of ships of Command and Fleet Headquarters with completely educated personnel so that is achieved the maintenance of operational level of units in high level and the most optimal exploitation of modern systems /appliances with which ships are provided.
The School provides a classroom (capacity of 12 individuals) that allocates PC and screen projector for implementation of taught courses with the use of PowerPoint program.
It checks and it revises the regulations of education of holding schools, while it also proposes the implementation of new schools depending on each time’s requirements.