Hellenic Navy General Staff (HNGS)
The Hellenic Navy General Staff (“HNGS”) assists the Chief of the HNGS in the exercise of his duties in time of peace and war and, through him, the Minister of National Defense (MoD) in the exercise of Command and Control over the personnel, assets and naval resources.
It is also the one eminently responsible for Naval Power – through which National Strategy is formulated and implemented, force development planning, allocation of resources and manpower, organization and preparation of war plans, training, scientific research and defense production. The formation of the National Strategy and the implementation of the Navy’s development programs are introduced by it to the Council of Chiefs of General Staff for submission of reports to the MoD for their final approval.
The HNGS consists of:
- The Chief of Hellenic Navy General Staff
- The Deputy Chief of Hellenic Navy General Staff
- The Hellenic Navy Inspector General and the Director of Financial Services and Auditing Division / Hellenic Navy Finance Inspection, who report directly to the Chief of the Hellenic Navy, and by independent Departments and Bureaus also reporting directly to him.
- Independent Departments and Bureaus reporting directly to the Deputy Chief of Hellenic Navy General Staff.
- The branches of the Hellenic Navy General Staff, which are subject to the Deputy Chief of HNGS including the Directorates, Departments and Offices which they comprise.