The Vasilissa Olga (D-15), α Greyhound-type Destroyer, was built in English shipyards during 1936-38, and on completion was handed over to the Hellenic fleet. During the Second World War, she was one of the most famous ships of the Hellenic Navy, having played an important role in the war. Vasilissa Olga, on her own or in cooperation with other British units, successfully participated in naval operations, sinking or disabling enemy ships and submarines.
In the end, Vasilissa Olga was bombed and sunk by a German air raid on September 26, 1943, while at anchor in the bay of Lakki at the island of Leros, dragging down with her the CO Commander George Blessas, 6 Officers and 65 Petty Officers and seamans.
The original painting is on display in the Floating Naval Museum Battleship “Georgios Averof”.