From March 31st to April 7th 2017, the Annual Mine Countermeasure (MCM) exercise “ARIADNE 2017” will take place in the maritime area of the Gulf of Patras and the Ionian Sea.
This is an “INVITEX” type exercise and is organized by the Hellenic Navy on an annual basis, with the following objectives:
- Enhance operational capabilities and readiness of all participants.
- Improve cooperation among participating units on operational, tactical, and technical level with respect to planning and conducting mine warfare operations.
- Promote cooperation and mutual understanding among participants of different nationalities.
- Evaluate NMW (Nato Mine Warfare) procedures and tactics.
The forces that will participate in this exercise involve:
- The SNMCMG 2 force with the following ships:
- Polish ORP K.X. CZERNISKI (SNMCMG 2 Flag ship)
- Spanish ESPS DUERO
- German FGS ROTTWEIL
- Turkish TCG ALANYA
- The NATO/CMRE (Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation) with the research vessel ITS NRV ALLIANCE.
- Countries with units/teams/observers as follows:
- Egypt with ENS AL SEDEED,
- Bulgaria with an officer as observer,
- France with FS LYRE,
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) with two officers as observers,
- Spain with ESPS TAJO,
- Qatar with two officers as observers,
- Romania with RS AXENTE and two officers as observers and
- Turkey with a diving team
- The Hellenic Navy with the following units:
- The frigate HS NAVARINON (Flagship),
- the minehunters HS KALLISTO, HS EVROPI, and HS KALYPSO,
- the gunboat HS POLEMISTIS,
- an organic helicopter on board HS NAVARINON, and
- a diving team.